Position: Festival Coordinator
Reports to: Executive Director
Location: Jacksonville Beach, Florida
Dates of Employment: April 18 – October 18, 2016
The Right Whale Festival celebrates the annual return of the endangered North Atlantic right whales and the beginning of right whale calving season off the coast of northeast Florida and Georgia. It’s a fun and free outdoor event for all ages, taking place in Jacksonville Beach, Florida on October 1, 2016. The festival acts as an opportunity to expand public awareness about the threats to right whales such as accidental ship strikes and entanglement in fishing gear. Less than 550 right whales exist today and their home waters span the Eastern Seaboard of the U.S. and parts of Canada. The festival is coordinated by Sea to Shore Alliance, a Florida-based marine conservation nonprofit, with partner support from NOAA.
The Right Whale Festival coordinator position will manage all festival logistics as outlined below, these include but are but not limited to: site management, vendor registration & coordination, marketing & web development for the festival, income generation/sponsorships, and educational activities & associated events. This role will manage communications and event preparation with all partners, sponsors, venues, contractors, and vendors. The festival coordinator may delegate tasks to partners and volunteers. The coordinator aims to deliver a high quality, exciting, innovative and educational festival that is well attended and supported.
Duties & Responsibilities:
• Coordinate and supervise all venue logistics including but not limited to site layout, tents & tables, food, music/sound, restrooms, trash, security, permits, applications, and insurance.
• Attend and manage events during the festival.
Vendors Registration & Coordination:
• Manage vendor registration process.
• Thorough communication with vendors regarding festival information & polices, as well as vendor needs (ie. electricity, tent/tables/chairs).
• Recruit new vendors, especially those that will help each target audiences.
• Recruit food vendors and coordinator with the City of Jacksonville Beach to ensure all requirements are met.
• Promote the festival through poster distribution, print, and online media, television/radio, and other appropriate means.
• Write and distribute a press release prior to the festival and serve as the festival media contact.
• Network with local organizations, clubs, societies, and chambers to increase awareness and festival participation.
• Be willing to give brief presentations to schools and organizations about right whales and the festival’s mission if requested.
• Maintain and update the festival website.
Income Generation/ Sponsorship:
• Request continued sponsorship from past sponsors.
• Identify new sponsors and fundraising opportunities and secure new sponsorship for this year’s event.
• Manage the sale of festival merchandise.
Educational Activities/ Associated Events:
• Coordinate festival events and activities including a beach run/walk, beach clean-up, bounce house, speaker tent and obstacle course.
• Identify & implement new activities.
• Coordinate the kid’s passport program (questions/answers, printing, prizes, etc.)
General Festival Management/ Administration:
• Work with the Volunteer Coordinator to manage festival volunteers and ensure the festival and associated events are adequately staffed.
• Provide bi-weekly updates to festival partners about progress and attend meetings/calls as necessary.
• Mange festival budget and work with organization accountant to reconcile logs.
• Prepare final report about festival coordination process and success.
Desired Skills & Qualifications:
• 2 years’ experience planning and executing events preferred
• Excellent analytical and problem solving skills
• Must be able to lift at least 50 lbs.
• Prior attendance to Right Whale Festival is a plus
• Ability to manage a large volume of information
• Ability to meet deadlines under strict time constraints
• Experience managing and effectively communicating to large groups of people
• Excellent oral and written communication skills, as well as interpersonal skills
• Extensive customer service experience
• Ability to prioritize, delegate and work well in high stress situations
• Ability to work within a database; familiarity with Google docs/sheets/charts
Please email cover letter, resume, and references to firstname.lastname@example.org with the position title in the subject line. Position closes March 21st at 11:59 pm EST. No other emails or phone calls please.